Breakfast – White Rock Marathon Walnut Waffles
Ingredients: l cup unbleached whole wheat flour, 2 teaspoons aluminum-free baking powder, 1/4 cup organic sugar, 1 cup honeymilk, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1 Egg, , 1 tablespoon lukewarm water, 2 tablespoons canola oil, 1/4 cup sugar-free applesauce, 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts, 1/2 cup chopped dried cranberries, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/8 teaspoon cardamom (optional)
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl: flour, baking powder, vegan sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and cardamom. Mix well.
- In a different bowl, combine the egg, water, oil, vanilla and applesauce.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients.
- Fold in the cranberries and the walnuts.
- Batter should be thick but not too thick, i.e. mixing should be rather easy by hand.
- Spray waffle iron with oil.
- Pour about 1/2 cup of batter into the waffle iron and let cook for about 8-10 mins.
Recipe adapted from VegWeb.com
AM Snack – Expensive Shoe Spinach Avocado Smoothie
Ingredients: 1 Pink Lady apple, cored and chopped, 1 handful spinach, 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger, 1 ripe avocado, 1 handful ice
- Place in blender and blend.
Lunch – Laughing Lentil Stew
Ingredients: 1/2 lb lentils, 3 tablespoons olive oil, 1 large onion (finely chopped), 2 stalks celery (finely sliced), 2 medium carrots (thinly sliced) 4 cloves garlic (minced), 1 tablespoon chipotle chile with sauce, 1 roasted and peeled poblano chile (chopped), 6 cups water, 2 tablespoons tomato paste, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1 teaspoon dry thyme, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Clean and wash lentils. Soak overnight for quicker cooking.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and saute onion, celery and carrots for 5-6 minutes. Add minced garlic and cook 30 seconds, stirring.
- Mince the chipotle chile with its adobo sauce so finely that it is almost pureed.
- Add all remaining ingredients, including water. Simmer for 30 minutes to 1 hour, or until lentils are tender, adding more water if necessary.
- Adjust salt and pepper. Garnish with cilantro, fried strips of tortillas, and crumbled asadero cheese or other dry, salty cheese.
Recipe adapted from CookingMexico.com
PM Snack – Duece De Leche Protein Shake
Ingredients: 1 bottle Vanilla HoneyMilk, 1 pkg fat-free butterscotch pudding mix, 1 scoop Vanilla Whey Protein, 5oz Greek Yogurt, Ice
- Place in blender and blend
Dinner – NOLA 70.3 Quinoa Jambalaya
Ingredients: 1.25 cup quinoa, 1tbs canola oil, 1 green bell pepper (diced), 1 medium onion, 1 zucchini halved and cut into 1/2 slices, 2 cups eggplant, 12 button mushrooms (sliced), 1 celery stalk (sliced), 2 cloves garlic (minced), 28 oz. crushed tomatoes, 1.5tbs dried parsley, 2tsp dried oregano, 1tsp dried thyme
0.5tsp salt, 0.5tsp black pepper
- Combine the quinoa and 2 ½ cups water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer and cover. Cook over low heat for 15 to 20 minutes, until all of the water is absorbed.
- In a large saucepan heat the oil. Add the green pepper, onion, zucchini, eggplant, mushrooms, celery and garlic. Cook, stirring, over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in the crushed tomatoes, ¼ cup water and seasonings. Cook over low heat for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When ready to serve, fold in the cooked quinoa and cook for 5 minutes more over low heat, stirring frequently. Pass the Tabasco sauce and salt at the table. I like to serve it up with a cold beer and some Louis Prima.
- Easily feeds 4 adults
Recipe courtesy of Too Many Chefs