Today’s nominee is somebody that I have a lot of respect for. I have exchanged a number of emails with this person prior to the nomination so I was excited when Allison sent me the email. This blogger is fast, and I mean fast. He has qualified for Boston and I believe he can go faster because he works at his craft. He does not take his ability for granted and keeps working at it and I admire that.
This week’s Athlete’s Plate is in honor of Jim Weatherly of 50 after 40.
Breakfast #1 (Pre-Workout) – The Natural Peanut Butter and Rice Cakes
Ingredients: 1 brown rice cake, 1tbs peanut butter, 1/2 medium banana (sliced)
- Spread peanut butter on top of rice cake
- Slice banana on top
- Serve with 4oz of coffee and a glass of orange juice
Breakfast #2 (post-workout) – The Sandlot Scrambled Eggs
Ingredients: 2 eggs, 1/4c red onion (chopped), 1/4c mushrooms (chopped), 1/4c green bell pepper (chopped), 3oz feta cheese, 1 slice Sesame Ezekiel Bread (toasted)
- Heat non-stick pan with cooking spray
- Whisk eggs while pan heats
- Drop eggs into pan. After they begin to set a bit add in vegetables.
- Cook for 2 more minutes and add in feta cheese.
- Serve with toast, decaf and water
AM Snack – Moneyball Broccoli Salad
Ingredients: 1c Broccoli Florets (steamed), 1/4c slivered almonds, 1/4c red onion (sliced thin), 1/2 medium orange (segments), Juice from the orange
- Steam or Blanch the broccoli to your desired crunchiness (don’t let it get too soft thought)
- In a medium bowl combine all the ingredients and lightly toss
Lunch – Field of Dreams Dumplings
Ingredients: 6 wonton wrappers, 1/2c red bell pepper (diced), 1/2c red onion (diced), 1/2c black beans (rinsed and drained)
- In heated pan cook vegetables and beans and set aside to cool.
- Layout wonton wrappers and place vegetable mix in the center.
- Fold wrapper together and with a touch of water seal the wonton.
- Place wonton in steamer and steam for 10 minutes.
- Heat 1tbs of olive oil in pan and cook wonton to a crispy exterior.
PM Snack – Tommy Boy ‘Tortilla’ Chips and Guacamole
Ingredients: 2 whole wheat pitas, 1 avocado, 2 medium tomatillos, 2 chipotle peppers in adobo (seeded), 1/2c red onion (chopped), 1/2c cherry tomatoes (quartered), juice of one lime juice
- Pre-heat oven to 400*
- Cut pita into triangles (like tortilla chips) and place on baking dish
- Spray pita wedges with cooking spray and place into oven to bake for 10-15 minutes.
- In a blender add avocado, tomatillos, chipotle blenders and blend
- In a medium bowl fold the lime juice, onion and tomato into the avocado mixture
- Remove chips from oven and serve with guacamole on the side
Dinner – Be Great Today Tortellini
Ingredients: 3/4c tortellini, Bunch of Spinach, 1/2c almonds, Olive Oil, 1/2c cherry tomatoes (quartered)
- Bring water to a boil and cook tortellini per package instructions
- In a blender add spinach and almonds and blend while drizzling in olive oil. Blend until your favorite consistency.
- In bowl add tortellini and pesto, then fold in cherry tomatoes.
Jim – I hope you enjoy this vegetarian menu and that it hit on all your favorite items.